Announced at NAB 2013 is two major upgrades from Avid. Media Composer 7 has many new features and a significant price drop, now starting at $999 USD. Protools version 11 has also been announced. Both of these latest releases are expected to be available in June 2013.
**New features Media Composer 7**
* AMA media management Media linked via Avid Media Access (AMA) now benefits from the complete suite of industry-leading media management tools formerly reserved for native Avid media.
* Dynamic media folders Accelerates and simplifies AMA media management tasks automatically in the background.
* FrameFlex tool and LUT support Enables editors to ingest 2K, 4K, and 5K media with real-time color space conversion and deliver content directly to HD.
* Master Audio Fader Enables editors to control overall program volume and insert plug-ins for compression, equalization, and compliance metering.
* Clip Gain Editors can adjust gain on a specific clip, independent of track-based automation, without engaging separate audio tools.
* Symphony Color Correction option Lets editors add advanced color correction tools previously found only in Avid Symphony.
* Interplay Sphere for Mac Enables creative teams to edit, share, tag, track, and sync media as it flows through the production process anywhere in the world (Media Composer Interplay Edition required).
Media Composer software configuration options
Avid will offer a choice of two Media Composer software configurations:
* Media Composer provides the full Media Composer editing feature set as well as support for ISIS® workgroups.
* Media Composer Interplay Edition includes all the features in Media Composer, plus the ability to connect to Avid Interplay.
Customers can purchase Media Composer 6.5 now and receive a free upgrade to version 7 when available. Pricing will be as follows:
Media Composer 7 (standard) $999 USD
Media Composer 7 Interplay Edition $1499 USD
**New features Protools 11**
* New Avid Audio Engine — Delivers multiple times the processing power of Pro Tools 10 on the same hardware configurations.
* 64-bit architecture — Exponentially increases the number of simultaneous virtual instruments and the performance to handle the most sophisticated sessions.
* Offline bounce — Delivers mixes up to 150 times faster than real time.
* Low-latency input buffer — Ensures ultra-low latency record monitoring without sacrificing plug-in performance.
* Dynamic host processing — Maximizes plug-in count by reallocating processing resources as needed.
* Expanded metering
* Extended standards support — Features a broad range of built-in metering standards, from peak and average to VU and PPM, to maintain adherence to regional broadcast requirements.
* Gain reduction — Shows gain reduction for all dynamics plug-ins on each channel.
* Direct HD video workflows
* Built-in Avid Video Engine — Enables audio post professionals to play and edit a wide range of HD video formats including Avid DNxHD®, directly in the Pro Tools timeline without transcoding, using the same core engine as in Media Composer®.
* Video interface support — Enables monitoring of DNxHD and QuickTime media through Avid Nitris® DX, Avid Mojo® DX, and other video interfaces.